Begin every day with a powerful intention.
Enter your info to receive The You-est You™ Morning Declaration Cards.
How to Stop Comparing Yourself Now with Julie Reisler
Meet Julie Reisler
Julie Reisler is a master Life Designer coach with over ten years of coaching experience and a master’s degree in health & wellness coaching. Julie is the host and founder of the You-est You Podcast, with over 230+ episodes, and is the founder of the School of Sacredology, a big-hearted community for individuals looking to live from their heart and soul and go from fear to faith. Julie has been featured in Forbes magazine, MindBodyGreen, The Chopra Center, and Thrive Global. She is also a prominent teacher and guide on the popular app Insight Timer and is on the faculty at Georgetown University in their coaching program. To learn more about Julie and how she might support you on your You-est You journey, go to juliereisler.com.
First off, there are no words to express my deep gratitude for you, dear You-est You listener and friend. I appreciate you listening and being a part of this powerful community committed to helping each of us step into our best selves. I’m committed to bringing the best of the best experts, luminaries, authors, healers, coaches, and speakers to shed light on how to fully be your truest self, your You-est You. May this episode with yours truly, help guide you out of the land of comparison and judgment and into the land of self-love, self-appreciation, and possibility. As always, thank you for sharing your feedback and insights with me. If moved to do so, please rate and leave a review wherever you listen to your podcasts. Your doing this helps to make this podcast more accessible and searchable to our global family.
The 4 Step Process of How to Stop Comparing Yourself
- First, my friend, you must become aware that you are comparing yourself to others. To compare is to despair! Without awareness, you will not be able to make any kind of change. Acknowledge to yourself (and/or a trusted friend, coach, or confidant) that you are stuck in comparison.
- Realizing that this is just a thought and a state, not who you truly are, make a note that you are ‘having a comparison thought’ or a ‘judging thought’. This helps you stay in the observer role and trains your mind to see this as an outside aspect of you. It’s a reminder that you are NOT your thoughts.
- Get curious, and ask yourself what it is about this person or situation that might be hinting at your greater desire. For example, if you see a photo of a super fit person, perhaps you want to feel more energy and vitality. Go to the root of the emotion and ask yourself how you want to feel or what you really desire. Often we see someone else doing something we’d like to be doing or experiencing, and rather than seeing it as inspiring or empowering, we go to comparison and lack of self-worth. It’s time to change this paradigm and flip the script through curiosity, powerful questions, and going deeper to see what you want to feel.
- What baby steps can you take towards how you want to feel or what you want to experience? For example, if you want to be more fit, rather than judging yourself come up with a very simple and easy-to-follow plan where you’ll perhaps start moving every day for 25 minutes. Additionally, don’t forget to acknowledge your inner value, divinity, gifts, and worthiness. This is crucial and necessary in learning how to truly love and accept yourself, exactly as you are.
Reframe Comparison to Inspiration
One of the best ways to reframe comparing yourself is to look and see how this person might be inspiring you. Please also remember that whatever you see in someone else lies within you. I love the phrase, “If you spot it, you’ve got it.” I learned this early on in a 12 step program that deals with healing codependency, and I believe it’s right on the mark. Let’s use this in the most positive way. Whatever it is that has you feeling less than and comparing yourself to others gives you the gift of seeing that this too is possible for you. I know that feels much better to me when I realize that it’s possible to impact millions, bless millions and make millions, as many of my beloved guests are doing. See how you can get inspired by those around you.
The Power of Namaste
Namaste in Sanskrit means ‘greetings to you’ and is typically used to salute the divine. In this way, as each of us is unique divine expressions, another interpretation is to salute the divinity in you. If you’ve heard this in a yoga class or mindfulness experience, you might recall the teacher bowing his/her/their head to you while saying Namaste at the end of class. It is about honoring your own light and divinity and seeing that in everyone else. This act of acknowledging your own unique divine spark, and that of others, is one of the most powerful ways of getting out of the comparison lane, stop passing judgment and become more accepting of yourself.
Learning how to stop comparing yourself and get out of the passing judgment energy is more simple than you’d believe once you become conscious of it. The first and most challenging step is becoming conscious and reframing the thought pattern. Not comparing yourself after that becomes easier, especially once you follow my four simple steps above.
As always, this community is a sacred, safe place built on love and acceptance. It was created to help you evolve and expand into your highest self. Please share your wisdom, comments, thoughts. I love hearing from you and learning how you are being your truest, you-est you. Please join us in our Facebook group The You-est You Community for Soul Seekers
Join host Julie Reisler, author and multi-time TEDx speaker, each week to learn how you can tap into your best self and become your You-est You to achieve inner peace, happiness, and success at a deeper level! Tune in to hear powerful, inspirational stories and expert insights from entrepreneurs, industry thought leaders, and extraordinary human beings that will help to transform your life. Julie also shares a-ha moments that have shaped her life and career and discusses key concepts from her book Get a PhD in YOU.
Here’s to your being your you-est you!
Enjoying the show?
For iTunes listeners, get automatic downloads and share the love by subscribing, rating & reviewing here!
*Share what you are struggling with or looking to transform with Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org. Julie would love to start covering topics of highest interest to YOU.
You-est You Links:
- Subscribe to the Podcast
- Learn more at JulieReisler.com
- Become a Sacred Member at the Sacredology Membership
- Join The You-est You Community for Soul Seekers on Facebook
- Subscribe to Julie’s YouTube Channel
- Book Julie as a speaker at your upcoming event
- Amazon #1 Best selling book Get a PhD in YOU
- Download free guided-meditations from Insight Timer
- Julie’s Hungry For More On
- line Program (10 Module Interactive Course)
- 15 Days Of Gratitude To Change Your Life on InsightTimer