Begin every day with a powerful intention.
Enter your info to receive The You-est You™ Morning Declaration Cards.
The 3 C’s You Need Now with Dr. Cynthia Whitaker
Dr. Whitaker is the Interim CEO at Greater Nashua Mental Health. She is dually licensed as both a psychologist and a master licensed alcohol and drug counselor. She is a strong advocate of social justice and is passionate about increasing access to mental health services for all. She is fluent in American Sign Language and continues to be involved in advocating for and providing training about mental health services for individuals who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing, as well as teaching and training about various other topics related to behavioral health. She is known for her engaging and motivating style of leading and training that inspires individuals and groups to connect with their strengths and reach their potential.
Dr. Whitaker shared about the power of feeling to heal and how trying to carry on and cover up your emotions only leads to further breakdowns. She shared about her own breakdown and personal story of being in a car crash and later suffering from PTSD. It was a challenge for her to admit she needed help as she always felt that the healer shouldn’t need healing. This experience ended up being one of the most important learnings and built a new kind of empathy she had never experienced. Dr. Whitaker explains ways to feel the emotions we often want to numb out. For many, addiction (be it alcohol, food, shopping, sex or even social media) is really a way to try and self-sooth and cover up feelings that are uncomfortable and overwhelming.
Here are some tips to feel to heal:
- Acknowledge how you’re feeling, without judgment, and get out of hiding
- Feelings are normal – ALL of them. You can’t appreciate positive feelings without negative feelings.
- Feelings are indicators, not dictators. Pay attention to your feelings but don’t let them dictate what you do.
- Feel into how you want to respond and use your intuition and inner wisdom.
- Meditation and stillness will give you the ability to better choose your response.
Above all, show yourself compassion and suspend judgment about yourself, your feelings and others.
The 3 C’s of Staying Sane:
- Community (not isolating)
- Compassion (suspending judgment)
- Carry on (keep calm, carry on) In other words, don’t cower, or cover but keep going through the feelings and get to the core of who you are.
Ask yourself, “What can I do today” and then look at the gap between who you are and who you want to be. Look at who I need to be to be the person I desire. What are my strengths and how can I tap into them today?
Remember, you are not alone and we’re all in this together. No one has to suffer in silence or secrecy. Speak up, find a trusted person and be compassionate to yourself.
Connect with Dr. Cynthia Whitaker
- Website: gnmhc.org
- Facebook: facebook.com/cynthia.l.whitaker
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/cynthia-whitaker-psyd-mladc
Enjoying the show?
For iTunes listeners, get automatic downloads and share the love by subscribing, rating & reviewing here!
*Share what you are struggling with or looking to transform with Julie at email@example.com. Julie would love to start covering topics of highest interest to YOU.
Join host Julie Reisler, author and multi-time TEDx speaker, each week to learn how you can tap into your best self and become your You-est You® to achieve inner peace, happiness and success at a deeper level! Tune in to hear powerful, inspirational stories and expert insights from entrepreneurs, industry thought leaders, and extraordinary human beings that will help to transform your life. Julie also shares a-ha moments that have shaped her life and career, and discusses key concepts from her book Get a PhD in YOU
Here’s to your being your you-est you!
You-est You Links:
- Subscribe to the Podcast
- Learn more at JulieReisler.com
- Become a Sacred Member at The School of Sacredology
- Join The You-est You® Community for Soul Seekers on Facebook
- Subscribe to Julie’s YouTube Channel
- Book Julie as a speaker at your upcoming event
- Amazon #1 Best selling book Get a PhD in YOU
- Download free guided-meditations from Insight Timer
- Julie’s Hungry For More Online Program (10 Module Interactive Course)